Saturday, February 19, 2011

Meet Merrie Bailey

My career began in social work which included being a community organizer involved with employment issues focusing on targeted hiring legislation, housing for the poor and medical benefits for the elderly.

For the last 25 years I was Executive Director of First State Project With Industry (FSPWI) providing career development and job placement for Delawareans with disabilities.  As a start-up ED, I assembled a Board of Directors from Delaware’s top-notch businesses, universities, and government agencies.  I spearheaded the development of all fund raising, program development,  grant writing, and public relations for the agency.  We opened three offices statewide.

I was head of Pastoral Care establishing an outreach program in the Episcopal Church after our parish received a bequest of $3 million.  I was also honored to be elected member of the Diocesan Council of the Episcopal Church in Wilmington.

For over 25 years I have been a Eucharistic Minister at the Christiana Care Hospital both in the Episcopal Church and most recently in the Catholic Church.  My church involvement has consisted of primarily of hands-on social ministry.  I established a 24/7 Telephone ministry for the “poorest of the poor.”  Other ministries included an Advocacy Network for the poor and supporting the church’s participation with Emmanuel Dining Room, Friendship House, San Marco ministry in Guatemala and Journey to Justice/Voices without Borders in Wilmington.

My husband is currently a Deacon at St. John the Beloved Church, retired from DuPont.  We have 3 children.

No comments:

Post a Comment